|Lions Clubs in your community are part of a world-wide service organization that has worked since 1917 to help
those who are blind, deaf/hard of hearing, and in need. As an extension of that international mission, the Lions
Hearing Center of Michigan was founded in 1999 as a partnership between Lions Districts 11A1 and 11A2, the
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Wayne State University, and the Detroit Medical Center.
|The late Dr. Robert Mathog, former Chair of the Department of Otolaryngology and of the Board of Directors for the Lions Hearing Center, spearheaded the formation and development of the Lions Hearing Center.|
|In November of 2000, the inauguration of the Hearing Center at the University Health Center in Detroit was held. In 2004, the Lions Clubs International Foundation approved the Lions Hearing Center as an official Lions organization. In September of 2004, the Lions Hearing Center acquired a tax-exempt and 501c3 status from the Internal Revenue Service, which it still holds today.|
|In 2008, the Lions Hearing Center began to expand its services to reach more people in need. Their services grew to include hearing screenings, educational programs, working with the deaf community, implementing outreach efforts throughout southeastern Michigan, and partnering with dozens of organizations to provide hearing care for all.|